The American Society of Ophthalmic Trauma (“ASOT”) is committed to protecting your privacy. The information bellow covers what information is collected on our website and how we use it. If you have questions or concerns, please email us.
Personal Information we collect
Personal Information is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier, or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
We do not consider personal information to include information that has been anonymized or aggregated so that it can no longer be used to identify a specific natural person, whether in combination with other information or otherwise.
We collect personal information from you when you use our services.
How we define, collect, and use personal information?
Identifying information such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses when you register for an account with us.
- Other content that you generate, or that is connected to your account.
- Financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) about a transaction.
- Postage, billing and other information used to purchase an item, as well as, where postal services are provided through one of our programs, information required to clear customs (such as Tax ID or other identification numbers) and relevant postage information (such as tracking numbers and tracking updates).
- You may also provide us other information through a web form, by updating or adding information to your account, through your participation in community discussions, member-to-member communications, chats, dispute resolution, or when you otherwise communicate with us regarding our services.
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use or navigate our website. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information), but may include your IP address, browser/operating system characteristics, and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of our services.
How we use your personal information?
We use the personal information we collect from you for a range of different business purposes and according to different legal bases of processing. The following is a summary of how and according to which legal basis we use your personal information.
We use your personal information to fulfill a contract with you and provide you with our services, to comply with our legal obligation, protect your vital interest, or as may be required for the public good. This includes:
- To provide payment processing and account management, operate, measure and improve our services, keep our services safe, secure and operational, and customize site content that includes items and services that you may like in response to actions that you take.
- To contact you regarding your account, to troubleshoot problems with your account, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed or as otherwise necessary to provide you customer service.
- When contacting you for such purposes as outlined above, we may contact you via email, telephone, SMS/text messages, postal mail, and via mobile push notifications.
- When contacting you via telephone, to ensure efficiency, we may use autodialed or pre-recorded calls and text messages as authorized by applicable law. Message and data rates may apply.
- To provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information.
- We use general location information to provide you with location-based services (such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content)
- To prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraud, security breaches or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
We use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests. We have worked to balance our interests with your rights. This allows us to:
- Improve our services, for example by reviewing information associated with stalled or crashed pages experienced by users allowing us to identify and fix problems and give you a better experience.
- Contact you via email or postal mail to offer you special promotions, poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires and inform you about our Services, as authorized by applicable law.
- Contact you about public policy matters, or other current events, related to your ability to use our services. This could include an invitation to join a petition, letter writing, call or other sort of public policy related campaigns.
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences.
- Measure the performance of our email marketing campaigns (e.g. by analyzing open and click rates).
- Monitor and improve the information security of our site and mobile applications.
- Provide you with marketing via telephone calls, email, SMS or text.
- Customize third party advertising you might see on third party websites.
- Use your precise geo-location to provide location-based services.
Third-Party Service Providers:
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include managing our membership base, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing payments, transmitting content, providing customer service, coordinating and managing annual meetings. These third-party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
Your Choices about how we use your Personal Information
You have choices about how we use your personal information to communicate with you, to send you marketing information, how we provide you with customized and relevant advertising, and whether you want to stay signed into your account.
How long we keep your personal information?
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the services you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our policies.
If you have questions about your personal information, please contact member services.
How do we protect your personal information?
We protect your personal information using technical and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration. Some of the safeguards we use are firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to our data centers, and information access authorization controls. For more information about staying safe online, or to report an issue with your account please contact us.
If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can unsubscribe via the link in an email you receive, or contact our member services.
- Recognizing when you’re signed into our services.
- Tracking items to be purchased.
- Improving security.
- Preventing fraudulent activity.
- Reporting/analysis of our services.
We use third-party services, such as Google Analytics, which place first-party and/or third-party cookies on a browser across our website. To opt out of Google tracking, please visit their opt out page. You can manage or block browser cookies through your browser settings. If you block some or all cookies in your browser, then we will be unable to transmit cookies to your browser, and you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some features and services may not work.
The ASOT is providing information and services on the Internet as a benefit and service in furtherance of the ASOT’s non-profit and tax-exempt status. The ASOT does not exert editorial control over materials that are posted on this site by third parties or materials that are e-mailed by third parties to any other persons. The ASOT is not responsible for any material posted by any third party. The ASOT specifically disclaims any and all liability for any claims or damages that result from postings by third parties. The ASOT reserves the right to remove any materials that are posted on this site by third parties or materials that are e-mailed by third parties that the ASOT considers to be objectionable or otherwise unfit for display. Although the ASOT site includes links that provide direct access to other websites and services, the ASOT has not generally participated in the development of these other sites and therefore does not exert any editorial, technical, or other control over these other sites.
Medical information published here by the ASOT or by any third party is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified health care provider. Please consult an appropriate health care provider. The ASOT does not answer specific medical questions or refer persons to specific health care providers.
All materials posted on this site are subject to copyrights owned by the ASOT unless indicated otherwise. The ASOT hereby provides limited permission for users of this site to reproduce, retransmit, or reprint, for such user’s personal use only, part or all of any document on this site. All other reproduction, retransmission, or reprinting of all or part of any document found on this site is expressly prohibited, unless the ASOT has expressly granted its prior consent to so reproduce, retransmit, or reprint the material. All other rights are reserved.
If you need more information about this privacy notice, our global privacy standards, or our information handling practices, you can reach us by writing at our email firstname.lastname@example.org.